Thursday, March 26, 2009

Apparently, you CAN eat spaghetti with a pencil.

I love spaghetti - especially with meatballs and loads of Parmesan cheese. Who doesn't? I was even served spaghetti a few times in Korea. The dish was always served Korean style with a side of kimchi and a pair of chopsticks - metal chopsticks at that. Believe me, nothing tests your dexterity like eating spaghetti with metal chopsticks. I'll answer your question: yes, spaghetti and kimchi are actually surprisingly delicious together. If you haven't had the opportunity to eat kimchi I will meet you for lunch at your local Korean restaurant and introduce you to the wonderful world of korean food. Lucky for me Todd loves it too. Otherwise, I would end up like my former co-worker who worked tirelessly to keep her smoking habit from her husband. She would hide cigarettes, smoke them when he wasn't around, then wash her hands raw, brush her teeth, gargle with mouthwash and live off breathmints. If you want to eat kimchi in secret you would have to add shower in euakalyptus 3 times afterwards to the list as the garlic permeates your skin. Now if you STILL aren't convinced to eat kimchi, more for me.

So as we were eating spaghetti the other night, I turned to notice my little son's extremely long reach had won him a mechanical pencil which he was using in an attempt to stab his food. I almost reached out to snatch the pencil away saying, "son, you can't eat your spaghetti with a mechanical pencil! Use your spoon, for pete's sake..." but for the first of probably hundreds of times, he proved me wrong. He stabbed a tiny piece of pasta and ate it with triumph. And yes, I meant with triumph - he ate it with a side of triumph.


Then I had one of those proud/bewildered parent moments. How am I going to keep him safe but all the while allow him to try doing things in a new possibly not-so-safe-in-mom's-eyes way? Or will I just stifle his curiosity in the name of safety? Also, how is he going to learn to downhill snow ski or canoe when I refuse to do either??? (Kayak, yes, canoe, NO. Blame it on the White River and lack of matches. Maybe I'll share the story someday when I feel less traumatized.) Our son has already proven himself much more fearless than mommy is comfortable with. He walked right up to one of my in-law's sheep (a buck, mind you) and attempted to stick his finger up the buck's nose. Luckily, my brother-in-law understands that a buck with his ear's back is not a happy buck and whisked my son away. He's also started his own version of "mutton-busting" and run's after the lambs trying to catch them. Again, whisked away from the unhappy mother by his favorite uncle.


I guess that's why there are two parents. When Evan is doing something I would stop him from immediately, Todd is laughing and grabbing the camera. So why I wouldn't suggest it for you or your children, it is possible to eat spaghetti with a pencil - and why not?

7 comments:

tristanjh said...

So the next time you are in town, let's go to Spaghetti Factory (mechanical pencil in hand) before we head to Nothing Bundt Cakes. Totally yummy (I thought that last word was literally the most classy way to describe my feelings for moist cake).

Sarah said...

As long as we don't head to any rural areas that would be super. Sheesh, Corbie just made it way too easy to annoy her...

I'll probably be down middle of April and a Nothing Bundt Cake run is totally in order. Maybe Corbie can come and we can dialogue about synergy.

Claudia said...

You are literally going to eat cake without me? This may just bifurcate our friendships.

Honestly, you have hit on a point of much consternation for me. Where is the line between letting them figure it out and torturing them with a difficult task? And who says my way is the best way? (well, okay, I do).

Funniest part of this whole post? As I was reading (and only half paying attention to the dinner drama), Theo sent his pizza back to the kitchen to be cut into bites he could eat with a fork (and then demanded a fork and napkin). Next time, I'm just giving him a pencil - or two metal chopsticks.

Sarah said...

We certainly can't eat cake without you! So I suggest you score an individual bundt cake (Tristan and I will split a whole cake) and we'll put you on speaker phone when we get there - or I could bring my laptop and we could Skype, eh? :>

I can't get over how funny Theo is - there's no way Josh could be as redneck as he claims and produce such a proper young man. I'd go with the metal chopstick - less chance of lead ingestion.

Corbie said...

Claudia hit it on the head...this is the hardest part of parenting.

I'm jazzed that you posted this...it made me realize that we are all dealing with the same garden variety parenting issues :)

Sarah said...

Corbie: Yeah, I think about it every time he tries something new - which is a dozen times a day. I'm glad we're all in the same boat - makes me feel less crazy.

Rosa Budd Steed said...

HAHA!! He is too adorable!! You're really gonna have to bring him up to play with the kids one weekend! I would love to see him again!!