Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Retraction

So I recently posted that Evan was "self potty training" - which is true. He knows exactly WHEN he needs to go "pee-potty" and he knows exactly HOW to do it all but we have been reminded of his age. He's 2. I believe '2' is defining the amount of time he can focus. Wether it be 2 months (the amount of time he was enamored with 'The Incredibles') or 2 weeks (the amount of time he was interested in wearing underwear on and off) or 2 minutes (the amount of time he'll sit with the other kids at "playschool" and attempt crafting) it's surely '2' that defines his focus.



We've pulled out many of the stops. Grandma "baa" embroidered some cute ducks and cars on his underwear. He loves to LOOK at them but when we offer them as an actual article of clothing his reply is "No thank you, I not wear pee-potty pants, I wear diaper." What do you say to such a polite refusal?



A couple of weeks ago I recieved a really, really cheesy free DVD in the mail all about potty training up to and including a grown man singing "The potty dance". He believed in his cause but it was still hard to watch. After trying my best to be excited about the toddler music video, I asked Evan if he wanted to watch it again. His reply? "No thank you, I want to watch diaper video." Again with the politeness - how do you respond to that? I did have to break the news that there was no nor ever will be a "diaper video". He rebounded quickly and ran off to play with his cars.



Even bribery is no match. When I try to offer him coveted toys for wearing underwear he quickly dismisses the offer and no longer even wants the toy. He referrs to the tainted toy when I try to use it as bribery for something else as "pee-potty toy" and wants nothing doing.



Though my grand parenting plans of having a diaperless three year old may not come to fruition, I certainly am not the first to endure such misguided hopes. Well, at least every third day he still wants to be a hedgefund manager when he grows up. (Yesterday it was 'McDonald Clown' and today he wanted to be a 'backhoe'. )

At least we still have control over all other aspects of his life like bedtime and food choice.

(Missing picture description: Evan flanked by parents on comfy couch with feet propped up holding a large bowl of popcorn watching 'Monsters versus Aliens' last night at 9 pm)

5 comments:

tristanjh said...

You really do forget how hard some of these mile stones are. If there was any doubt as to whether or not I am officially done having children, I am now very comfortably fixated in that category!

Claudia said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with a 2-yr-old who can quite reliably tell me "pee pee and poo poo supposed to go in the potty", while still completely refusing to actually do that.

@Tristan - if you ever feel like you might want to change your mind, I'll send you Adayla to potty train...it has certainly convinced me that I am a lifelong mother of two.

Sarah said...

Tristan: I'm seriously wondering why I didn't have kids when I was young and had loads of energy. Just think - you're half way done!!!!

Claudia: Yeah, welcome to the club - is it stubbornness, disinterest, or are they genius and laughing at how they know we can't control this?

Corbie said...

The fact that Evan came up with a make-believe diaper video to impress upon you his disdain for the potty tells me he is a total genius - hedgefund manager, for sure.

Sarah said...

Corbie: We're counting on it! Otherwise, we'll be living with him in his clown car when we get old.