Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I meant what I said, or so I thought...

So awhile back I promised a book review of sorts in exchange for some book suggestions. Lately, though, my words have not been coming out - orally or written - quite like they sound in my head. I say or write things and realize after the fact the meaning is not at all what I really meant. I usually don't realize this until I get the awkward blank stare or the confused reply in writing. I often start a conversation with my husband only to forget to finish the sentence or question. Words come out that in no way relate to the conversation. My phone calls seem to end a little abruptly and not at all smoothly.

Could it be I am forgetting English? Could it be that spending most of my time with a 2 year old that has an extremely limited vocabulary and one that is adorably wrong sometimes is catching up to me?? Last night while talking to my sister on the phone I was racking my brain for the words "window shopping". All I could think of was "eye shopping" which is a literal translation from Korean for "window shopping". Even now, I sit here thinking, "now what was the point I was trying to make??" and "I think I forgot how to use punctuation".

That said, I'll forge ahead with a mini book review. Feel free to laugh at my incoherent thoughts or correct my bad English out loud.

'History of Love' by Nicole Krauss: I really appreciated all the book suggestions and look forward to reading many of them! I picked this one first because, well, it happened to be actually in the library when I was physically there to find a book. If you want something a little off the wall, different, and is filled with themes about old age, young age, and life in general then read this book. I actually laughed out loud at some points. The story is about a man in the twilight of his years and his struggle to find daily meaning in life. But it's also about a young girl on a quest for answers in a book her mother translated called 'History of Love'. These two peoples lives eventually intertwine. I'm still not sure I picked up on the intricacies of the plot but again I currently have some sort of foggy brain so this is in no way the book's problem.

'The Hiding Place' by Corrie ten Boom: I read this one for my book club - a friend and I who have the same need for intellectual conversation among adults started one a few months back. Really one of the best books I've read. I absolutely love non-fiction. I love reading real stories of real people. Corrie and her family were watch makers from Holland who helped hide Jews during the rise of Hitler. The stories of faith and courage and love are inspiring. Friends of mine raved about the book and I thought that it couldn't be THAT good and inspiring. It really is - the parenting advice alone is worth the read. Also, if you read it and are curious about more of the life of Corrie and her family, she wrote another book titled 'In my Father's House'.

'The Wednesday Letters': This is a great premise for a book. A couple dies leaving behind countless letters written by the husband every Wednesday for their entire married life. The adult kids end up finding them and many a family secret is uncovered as well as family conflicts resolved. It was an easy read but I can't say I loved it. I think the character development was weak and in the end I didn't really care what happened. If you want to read it - I recommend getting the audio version. It's relatively entertaining to listen to while you do housework or something.

'The Count of Monte Cristo': Who doesn't love the Count??? We read this one for the book club and since I've already read the abridged version thanks to (someone help me, was it Gentry or one of the other good English teachers we had???) I decided to read the longer more detailed version. If you've seen the movie, trust me, you can still read the book and be surprised. The movie, though entertaining, was WAY off. (On a side note, don't expect the 'Scarlett Letter' book and movie to correspond either) I love the subtle and not so subtle detail that goes into the characters. When Dantes is in prison, I could picture everything and feel his suffering. The many themes could be talked about extensively. For example, is the sin of omission (in this book, Caderousse allowing Dantes to be taken to prison on false pretenses by doing and saying nothing of his innocence) greater than the sin of commission (in the book, those that purposely manufactured 'evidence' of Dantes guilt)? Anyway, great book.

This month I'll be reading 'Snowlfower and the Secret Fan' by Lisa See. It sounds fascinating so I'm excited to read it. And I accidently ordered 'Peony in Love: a Novel' by the same author so I'll let you know if that's any good as well, oops. Clearly, I'm having trouble with simple tasks such as ordering a book on Amazon as well.

If you have read any good books lately, please don't hesitate to share, I'm always up for recommendations! And please don't hesitate to ask for clarification of anything I say or write - it's entirely possible it sounded better in my head.

7 comments:

tristanjh said...

Is it really horrible that I just want an easy read? I start something, like the Count of Monte Cristo (and yes, that was courtesy of Mr. Gentry) and there sheer number of characters has my head spinning. Clearly you are doing much better than you think you are!

tristanjh said...

And I meant 'the' not 'there.' I guess the speaking/writing thing doesn't get any better as the kids get older. Damn!

Claudia said...

I, too, have lost my ability to complete a sentence or thought. I do blame the children - and Dr. Seuss. I mean, really, what's with hopping on pop? And what the heck is a zed?

Thanks for the reviews - I've put the History of Love on reserve at the library. I just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and can highly recommend it - if you like foreign, based in reality, fictional types of books. If you like Snow Flower, you will probably like this one.

Tristan - what are you reading? Any recommendations?

Sarah said...

Tristan: It's NOT horrible at all you want an easy read. For 2 years or more I've lived off of short, no-thinking-involved articles from Parenting magazine, Family Fun, the Reader's Digest and occasionally Shape. I found myself entirely too often staring mindlessly at the wall and figured I better amp it up a bit to ward off early Alzheimers.

(Really, I've been looking at both your posts for ten minutes trying to decide if you were right the first time...)

Claudia: Yeah, I completely agree. Check out Todd's comment in the 'Reading Rut' post and you'll catch a glimpse of our most current reads...

Thanks for the book suggestion - I pretty much like anything but romance and sci-fi - though I'll try the latter before the former. So I take you've read Snow Flower? Did you read the other one I just order on accident? Because if not, you'll be getting an early birthday present. ha! ;>

Claudia said...

I have read Snow Flower, but not the other book. Let me know how you like - no need to mail, the library is very close!

Corbie said...

I don't even know where to jump in here. I went to NYC and read three books this weekend and spent much of my trip in the public library (only to take a break to visit Barnes & Noble...twice). I have problems. I like an easy read, I like a hard read, I like the back of a cereal box...keep the recommendations coming.

Sarah said...

Claudia: I'll keep you posted and pass the book along to someone else. :>

Corbie: As far as problems go, I'd have to say you could be worse off! As far as recommendations go, the Honey Nut Cheerios box gives some insightful stories on cholesterol...