Monday, July 27, 2009

Sad clown, thank you.

So I admit I'm not a perfect mother and at times use You tube as a babysitter so I can actually finish the dishes or do something really important like post to this blog. While we are determined not to let the TV raise our kids, You tube is perfectly suitable as a substitute parent.

As previously noted, Evan has this crazy fascination with clowns. If any of you have ever tried to find clown related videos or toys that are not scary or creepy, you know it either takes much patience and/or a slight knowledge of opera. While cooking dinner one night, Todd came across this commercial for Coke and Evan was enthralled. He refers to the video as "sad clown, thank you". I'll just go ahead and make the assumption that it's because we're top notch parents Evan recognizes the concept of sharing and adds his own "thank you" when the ungracious clown doesn't offer his own thanks to the boy.

On the flip side, I'll just go ahead and make the assumption that when Evan does something bad it is no reflection on our parenting skills.

5 comments:

tristanjh said...

Uhh...that clown is creepy. Evan will probably need counseling. The whole video, however, would have been significantly better had the little boy handed him a diet coke instead!

Whitni said...

Very nice. Clowns scare me to death, and Aisling is a bit leary of them even in the daylight. Your little boy is one tough, brave kid.

Of course all of his good traits are a reflection of your parenting! The bad stuff comes from grandparents spoiling them to death, right?!

Claudia said...

Love it! Maybe he's a fan of all opera?

All good traits are the result of perfect parenting - the bad stuff, all bad genes from the other side of the family.

Corbie said...

Maybe it is sad clown thank you for ceasing your operatic singing which makes me want to hit myself over the head with this very thick Coke bottle...wait, that was what I was thinking.

Great parenting philosophy - sign me up.

Sarah said...

Tristan: Counseling or not, it buys me time. I'll be sure to include only DIET coke in all future commercial clips. :>

Whitni: What I want to know is if clowns have always been creepy or if there was some turning point in history... Evan's grandparents DO spoil him but I still have not yet made the link between the two. Dang, guess I'll blame it on a nebulous "them".

Claudia: If all opera has clowns, motorcycles, or buses it's sure to be a hit in this house! And my in-law's are all well educated, healthy, happy people with relatively few vices so that theory won't fly. Keep thinking, I need SOMEONE to blame! :>

Corbie: You could be right! And speaking of "signing up", I'm guessing you won't be signing up to take Evan to the opera anytime soon - at least without a thick coke bottle... :>