Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Girls Weekend!!!!

So a couple of months ago my sister and I decided we needed a break from mommyville and the daily rut. Our first thought was of course Hawaii, but I've been to Hawaii and I didn't want to come back last time. Why tempt myself?

What's the next best thing to Hawaii?? Park City of course!! Especially Park City in August. Apparently it's the month no one wants to go to Park City because we got a sweet deal at a resort. We left last Friday and stayed until they kicked us out on Monday. The place was beautiful! It had everything but a comfortable bed. It's almost as if the builder completely forgot about mattresses until they ran out of money. "Granite counter tops. Check. $40/yard carpet. Check. Awesome steam room in the shower. Check. Really cool convection oven. Check. There's something missing...MATTRESSES!!! Quick order 1000 of the cheapest mattresses you can find STAT!!!" Or so I imagine it must have happened.

We had a beautiful view of the mountains from out little porch which we enjoyed while sitting in our complimentary white robes on the couch with our laptops. We made dinner - which we got to sit down and enjoy and actually finish eating. We got to watch movies - without interruption. We enjoyed digital scrapbooking - and actually finished some projects. We went out to dinner one night - got to go to a restaurant that didn't have a kid's menu. We stayed up late - by choice and not because a child refused to go to sleep or because we wanted to finish the dishes we've been trying to do all day. We ate treats and left full glasses of juice in low places - and didn't worry about who would find them. The room magically stayed exactly how we left it. I forgot that could happen!

A friend of ours came up Saturday night and we all had so much fun we've decided to do it again at least monthly. Ok, that's unrealistic but I figure if I hit Todd up with monthly first he won't think twice about "just a couple times a year".

Another thing I learned from this weekend: It is medically necessary to install a steam room in my shower. After taking turns 2 or 3 times a day in the steam room/shower, Janet and I decided it would be cheaper for our insurance companies to install one in our bathrooms for prevention purposes since it is almost completely possible that they could prevent most diseases and probably even broken bones.

Sorry there are no pictures, I just didn't want to take any. I think I felt the magical world would disappear if I tried to make a record of it. Thanks to my boys for taking care of each other (i.e. playing all day until they crashed on the bed) and thanks to Chalene who played daycare on Monday until I returned. Thanks to Janet and Treeesh for putting up with me for an entire weekend. And thank you Mr. Steam, a love affair I'm pretty sure Todd wouldn't mind getting in on.

Long live girl's weekends!!!!!

8 comments:

tristanjh said...

So jealous, but glad you had a great time :) I too had forgotten that a room could actually stay the way that you left it!

Claudia said...

What is this daydream you all share about an empty room? Sounds like a great trip - I'm suddenly sad that Adayla doesn't have a sister (and that I don't either).

Sarah said...

Tristan: I had an excellent time - and one day we'll all go on a fun girl's trip and you can once again experience the magical unchanging room!

Claudia: Certainly DNA is not a prerequisite for a sister - by my count you have at least 2. Right Tristan? :>

Sis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sis said...

HA! You put in writing so well a picture of the weekend. Thanks for making it happen! Long live Mr. Steam . . . . . . .

tristanjh said...

Sarah: Thank you...I was about to point out the same thing.

Tyson and Jennifer said...

That is a fantastic new tradition! I've got to convince Bren to do something like that--even though she doesn't have children yet! I laughed and laughed reading this--all too true!

Corbie said...

If ever there were a place where bad mattresses can be tolerated it is on a girls' trip. After all, who does much sleeping when you can be bonding until the wee hours of morning. And I so agree about the picture taking - my most relaxing vacation in recent months was to New York where I let go of my 'camera-issues' and enjoyed the moment.

Good for you - you deserve it.