Friday, January 29, 2010

Growth Spurt or Growing up?

Every kid does this but I still find it funny.


3 things you might not realize about this picture:

1- He's wearing my shoes. Ok, that you get but he's wearing my brand-new-looking-workout shoes-that-really-should-look-worn-by-now-since-I've-had-them-for-over-a-year shoes.

I must now revisit my "new years goals". Maybe I'll go with the trend and make a much simpler and much more vague "word for the year". How about Move. It could mean, "move my butt more", "move toward a sunnier climate", or even "move over marshmallows, ice cream is a much more delicious addition to hot chocolate".

2- He's wearing my socks. He can now put on his own socks. Or even my socks. Heavy sigh. That reminds me, I need to clean out my sock drawer. Long ago I decided my sock drawer could be free and overflowing with unmated socks thus freeing myself 3 minutes when I put away laundry. Conversely, it takes at least 3 minutes every day to find matching socks.

I could Move into a more disciplined mindset and match the socks.

Move
Todd's socks to a different location so I have more room for my free spirited socks.

No, I'm thinking: Move to Miami where I won't ever need socks again.

3- He's wearing underwear!!!!!! Quite honestly, he's been potty training himself. He even looks at us like we're crazy when we jump and cheer for him after he pees in the toilet - he doesn't even need cheering on. Todd and I would like to assume it's our great parenting style that moved him to use the toilet by himself but I'm more inclined to believe it's all him. From stories of friends and family with more than one child I'm assuming it's more a fluke than a norm. So we will celebrate and enjoy the self-training-toddler for the next child may not be as eager.

Yay for small miracles! Blond hair, blue eyed, 2 year old boys named Evan to be more specific.

7 comments:

Claudia said...

What a sweet little boy you have!!! Congratulations on doing everything right to raise a self-dresser, self-potty trainer, marathon runner-in-training!

I'm thinking you need a calling in primary for a while and a lesson involving sock puppets (for the kids to take home) so that you can get rid of all the mismatches without guilt!

tristanjh said...

I am 100% on board with the moving to Miami sans socks :)

And yay for Evan. So glad it is going well.

Sarah said...

Claudia: Yes, a lesson in sock puppets is a great idea. At our house, we call mismatched socks "socks without friends". Not so sure if I'm ready for a full fledged primary calling though. :>

Tristan: I'm pretty sure more of our family would visit if we lived in Miami.

Corbie said...

Are you supposed to live in warm climates to wear flip-flops year round? Oops.

Those are cute shoes...on a very cute little boy.

Sarah said...

Corbie: Not if your name is either 'Corbie' or 'Tristan'. ha!

Tyson and Jennifer said...

He's wearing your shoes? That's awesome! That reminds me of wearing grandma witbeck's clothes and thinking I was so grown up. I didn't want to admit she was so tiny. How I wish Abby could be like Evan, potty training! Count your lucky stars!!

Sarah said...

Jenny: Yes, I am excited about the potty training thing but I'm not holding my breath. He can do it and do it well but still has the attention span of a 2 year old. :>