Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summertime...and the living is easy



Perfect weather. Perfect little imperfect "small" family and a pool.


The boy and I end up here at least once a week and because of SwimKids I actually enjoy it. Last year any pool/large body of water time equaled crazy mom frantically running after lightning mc'Evan' as he darted toward any water he could surely drowned in. Then he would jump right in the large body of sure death with no regard to my heart condition. What's a neurotic mom to do who just wants a little pool time?


Search the internet, of course.

Because no one here is willing to teach the 3 and under crowd more than money wasting bubble blowing I had to make a treck to the great metropolis of the state. SwimKids teaches kids as young as FOUR MONTHS how to actually swim in water. Swim, float and survive. Music to my heart. When I informed our fearless toddler of his upcoming lessons and that my goal was for him to swim like a shark he perked up and added, "and I'll eat all the Nemo's!!" then ran around eating 'Nemos' Jaws style.


Well, at least he was excited.


15 minute private lessons, twice a day for a week. We missed a couple so he got about 10 lessons. The kid can now float on his back, roll over from his back and swim to the edge of the pool. He jumps in the pool and swims to me. He can almost swim then roll onto his back into a floating position. He's no Phelps and he's not drowned-proof yet but he does understand that all water is not equal. No running off and jumping into whatever and no nervous breakdowns for mom. (Picture a big band parade marching by). It's freakin' awesome!


As you can tell I'm a little overzealous about this new found swimming deal. So much so that at the ward swim party last week I was so convinced that I needed to convince others of my new found nugget of info that I'm pretty sure I scared any friends I had left far away. So bring up the words 'swim', 'water', 'Nemo', and 'heart condition' at your own risk.


So when your kid hits 4 months, and you're willing to let me drone on for an hour about SwimKids, call me and I'll hook you up. Or you can just google 'SwimKids'. But whatever.





6 comments:

tristanjh said...

Can't wait to see for myself on Friday :)

Claudia said...

Glad you drown-proofed your little guy! We're in the midst of swimming lessons for Blue right now, but I didn't have it in me to put Pink in. Maybe she'll learn to swim next year.

Sarah said...

Tristan: Yay for Friday!!

Claudia: So far he loves it and I'm going to keep him in swim lessons until money runs out or he becomes a lifeguard. Don't you live in a place where outdoor swim lessons are year round so you can put Pink in lessons on a whim. :>

cluckyducky said...

We've been meaning to get Sofia in the water and this has inspired me. I'll have to find something similar to SwimKids in SF.

BTW, how do you comment on Claudia's blog. I can't seem to figure it out!

Sarah said...

Cluckyducky: Check out this link as well-http://www.infantaquatics.com/contact-infant-aquatics.htm

I don't see one where you're at but maybe give them a call see if they know of another program.

Claudia's blog you have to pick a sign in underneath the comment box and then click through it a couple of times.

Also, where can I see more pictures of cute Sofia????

Tyson and Jennifer said...

Hooray for kids learning how to swim and less mom stress! I'm the same way. You may have to tell me more-- sounds like Evan learned lots, and I love the idea of not waiting as long to put Kimmie in one.